Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre

Feel free to comment on anything "ADDICTION RELATED" in this section.

Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre

Postby Trevor Green » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre in the United States. The alcoholic former England, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Newcastle United midfielder, 45, has "willingly" been admitted to an unnamed centre.

The move came after fears about Gascoigne's health were renewed last week when he appeared unwell and shaking during a charity appearance in Northampton where he broke down sobbing on stage in front of a room full of fans.

In a statement his management company, GamePlan Solutions, said Gascoigne had been touched by the help and support shown by fans and figures within football over the past few days.

"Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has been experiencing a tough time of late," the statement added. "He has been asking for help and has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre in America.

"He has complex issues that are being dealt with by professionals. Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days. He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance."

Clarke Carlisle, the chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association, told Radio 4's Today Programme: "We'll continue to give him our full support because that's what we're here for. We have been in touch with his friends, his advisers, and agents and we will do again."

Gary Lineker said he is struggling to see a positive outcome for his former England and Tottenham team-mate, writing on Twitter: "I can only hope he finds peace somehow but fear those hopes may be forlorn."

Frank Lampard told how his "idol" Gascoigne took him under his wing as a young player. The England and Chelsea midfielder told ITV News: "I was lucky enough to be involved in Euro 96 with him as a kid and he took me under his wing.

"I was completely in awe of his character, how much he was joking around and more than that the quality of his football. Whatever anyone says about Paul Gascoigne, he was my hero and he'll always be that."

Press Association
The Guardian, Monday 4 February 2013 20.28 GMT
Trevor Green

Re: Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre

Postby Andy284 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:57 pm

God bless you Paul.
Andy284

Postby Paul Smart » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm

How very sad :(
Paul Smart