I don't know what my addiction is .... HELP

This is a great place to discuss anything relating to Alcohol.

I don't know what my addiction is .... HELP

Postby benlawyers » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

by benlawyers » Mon May 13, 2013 2:25 pm

I have regularly had financial issues and have a poor credit rating through the taking up of various loans over the years. i go to the pub every day but only ever drink 2 pints and i always go to a pub that has a fruit machine strangely never with the intention of necessarily winning (in fact winning doesn't give me a buzz at all. it gives me relief that i haven't got to explain where the money has gone but nothing more) i usually just throw money away until i have non left. this is usually no more than £20 or so BUT it is EVERY time i visit a pub so the impact on the house finances is severe. I know this is an addiction and that i am an addict but i don't know to what. i don't think it's gambling (i've been down the GA route before) it's more that i don't deserve the money if that makes sense and that my life doesn't seem normal if i don't have financial stress ..... i could go on but hoped these feelings might ring a bell with someone ..... i get very stressed when i don't have physical cash in my pocket and yet when i do i need to get rid of it somewhere and that is usually through a combination of drink and fruit machine because that 's the quickest way to get rid of small sums
benlawyers

Re: I don't know what my addiction is .... HELP

Postby Suzanne May » Mon May 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello Ben,
I used to be just like you. I used to play the machines and not care if I won or not. It was never about winning. I got through it after I found myself (if that makes sense?) I used to drink a lot on my own and played the machines as

A/ I didn't have anyone to talk to.
B/ I didn't feel people were watching me thinking, what is she doing sat on her own.
C/ If gave me a purpose of being there.
D/ It took my mind off everything else in my life. It helped me to forget.

Ben it is just a stage you are going through in your life. I found I got a new job which gave me different interests. That is how I got through it.

Good luck, and it will get better. x
Suzanne May

Postby benlawyers » Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Suzanne May wrote:Hello Ben,
I used to be just like you. I used to play the machines and not care if I won or not. It was never about winning. I got through it after I found myself (if that makes sense?) I used to drink a lot on my own and played the machines as

A/ I didn't have anyone to talk to.
B/ I didn't feel people were watching me thinking, what is she doing sat on her own.
C/ If gave me a purpose of being there.
D/ It took my mind off everything else in my life. It helped me to forget.

Ben it is just a stage you are going through in your life. I found I got a new job which gave me different interests. That is how I got through it.

Good luck, and it will get better. x

thank you so much for your comments. particularly the "purpose for being there" which is why i'm confused. i don't know if i play them to give me an excuse to drink or drink to give me an excuse to play them .....
benlawyers

Postby Darren Bent » Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 pm

You will be fine. Don't give it so much thought. You may just have too much time on your hands. It really is just a faze you are going through. ;)
Darren Bent

Postby benlawyers » Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Darren Bent wrote:You will be fine. Don't give it so much thought. You may just have too much time on your hands. It really is just a faze you are going through. ;)

This phase has been going on for 30 years !! be great if it lasted as long as Rick Astley rather than Status Quo
benlawyers

Postby jacksonwiliams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm

If you regret about the drinks then you will change and financial position will so improve. It is sure.
jacksonwiliams

Postby goodfuturereinc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:20 pm

If you ask me then you are surely frustrated about something or joy in your life is missing do only that things which can help you to give joy inside.it will not lead you to negative thinking and you will not be forced to visit pub.
goodfuturereinc

Return to ALCOHOL ADDICTION